Tuesday, June 14, 2005

The headlines that will never be…

Yes, I know this blog site is called FORT WAYNE Media Notes, and this isn’t strictly local, but I felt compelled to comment on the lead story about the verdict in the Michael Jackson trial in this morning’s (6/14/05) edition of the Journal Gazette. The story itself was taken from the Washington Post. The Jackson trail is/was news; I’ll even grant that the verdict deserves front page status. But I’m not sure it has earned the large-point bold headline screaming ACQUITTED. The last time I remember a similarly sized headline in the Journal Gazette, it was the issue that came out September 12, 2001.

But that’s not what I’m commenting on. The real tragedy here is that the “Not Guilty” verdict in the Michael Jackson trial has deprived the American public of some first-rate headlines.

(Not So) Smooth Criminal!
I Wanna (break) Rock(s) With You: Jackson found guilty!
Jury says “He’s Bad!”

The possibilities were endless. But alas, it was not to be. In a way, it reminds me of when the O.J. Simpson verdict was announced, and I could find no newspaper that used the headline “The Juice Is Loose!”

That said, the Washington Post story does get points for using the word “Fandemonium.”



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?